Call for Presentation Proposals – Sustainable Research: Modelling Nearly Carbon Neutral Practices in the 21st Century
The Kule Institute for Advanced Study (KIAS) at the University of Alberta invites you to take part in a live-streamed e-Conference from April 30 – May 4, 2018. Now in its 6th year, the Around the World Conference is a nearly carbon neutral event that facilitates dialogue between research institutes and researchers from around the world without the environmental cost of traditional conferences.
Traditional conferences have a surprisingly large CO2 footprint. According to a recent study by researchers at the UCSB nearly one-third of CO2 emissions produced by university campuses come from flying to conferences and other academic related events. To try to mitigate a portion of climate change we need to learn how to better mobilize ideas without flying so many people.
That’s why we’re thrilled to announce that this year’s theme will be Sustainable Research: Modelling Nearly Carbon-Neutral Practices in the 21st Century.
Topics might include, but are not limited to:
- Sustainable Research Technology: IT Energy Consumption and Minimalist Computing
- Sustainable Research Dissemination and Engagement: Academic Responsibility and Climate Activism
- Sustainability through Art and Performance: Videogames, Art Installations and Other Forms of ‘Research-Creation’
- Sustainable Research Environments: Green Library and Green Lab Initiatives, Green Field Research, Teaching and Learning Remotely, Aboriginal Engagement
- History and Philosophy of Sustainability
We welcome a variety of formats, including:
- Live-streamed and Pre-Recorded Talks
- Panel Discussions
The hybrid form of our conference combines live-streamed presentations from participants around the world with on-site, face-to-face discussion. In addition to taking part in a panel or talk, you would have the opportunity to host a partner event at your home institution.
- support all the technological requirements in association with your tech support contact
- create the schedule and event infrastructure, including any pre-recorded talks
- advertise online and locally
- digitally archive the event and host the talks for future use
If you would like to take part in the Around the World Conference on Sustainable Research, send a short abstract and bio by Monday, March 26, 2018 to the Around the World project manager Chelsea Miya at cmiya[at]ualberta.ca